This project is read-only.

Converting Handler to a Control

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:45 PM
ASP.NET is new to me and I have not found anything on building or using Handlers or Templated ASPX pages.

The Photohander works great as a stand alone web application but I have not been able to integrate it into an existing web site and load the album.aspx page with images - only the placeholders. I have been able to load the handler but I do not understand how I can modify it to link back to original web site structure with web site links. I have made changes to the directory locations for the CSS links and the Handler files - I am obviously missing something that is probably very fundamental.

One thought is to make the handler a control then use it in a new form on the existing web site - I assume that I would still load the metadata extractor in the Bin file and the converted handler in the image file that I want to display. But how do I convert the handler to a control file? Specific advice would be greatly appreciated - or point me to a good reference book that I can study.

I have studied both of Jim Chesire's books on Expression Web and the Expression Web Developers Guide to ASP.NET 3.5 but there is nothing specific about merging two web sites, handlers or templated pages. And I have not been able to find useful information on the web either - Thanks, Forest Majors
Apr 3, 2008 at 12:38 AM
The ashx file already has the ability to act as a handler and as a user control. If you look at the defualt.aspx page, that's exactly what it's doing. One common mistake people do is not put the whole thing at the root of an IIS web application. You can also try to tweak Path and HandlerUrl on the control.